Keto Diet - Explained
HEREIN: INTERNET RESEARCH ABOUT THE KETOGENIC DIET
- Cutting out Carbs, Sugars and related ingredients at the same time as increasing healthy fats and doing intermittent fasting, in most instances, will send the human and most animal bodies into a state of Ketosis. Ketosis is defined as “Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, something your body does to keep working. When it doesn't have enough carbohydrates from food for your cells to burn for energy, it burns fat instead. As part of this process, it makes ketones…” (from webmd.com)
- Ketones are defined: “Ketones are substances that are made when the body breaks down fat for energy. Normally, your body gets the energy it needs from carbohydrate in your diet.” (from webmd.com) There are both Urine test strips and Blood Tests on sale here on our website to assist you to track your body ketone levels. The Blood Tests are more expensive but much more reliable. The Urine Tests work sometimes but many things can disrupt the validity of the Urine Test Strips.
- “Ketones are produced when the body burns fat for energy or fuel. They are also produced when you lose weight or if there is not enough insulin to help your body use sugar for energy. Without enough insulin, glucose builds up in the blood. Since the body is unable to use glucose for energy, it breaks down fat instead.” (joslin.org)
- The goal of A Ketogenic Diet is to create a state of Ketosis ie: to stimulate the body to produce Ketones ie: to stimulate the body to burn and use fat for fuel and not blood glucose. The benefits of the Ketogenic State in the human body are still being researched and studied and there are many lectures exhibited on the different pages of the Keto-to-go.com website, collected here for your ease of research and learning.
- EXOGENOUS KETONES: Yes, I thought so too! Another big confusing word! There are a few companies that sell Ketones that you can EAT and DRINK and thereby add into your body from an “exterior” source; HENCE: “EXOGENOUS” referring to a source of Ketones that are made in a laboratory, as opposed to being made in your liver. We do have Exogenous Ketones for sale on our website under the KETO PRODUCTS category in our Keto-to-go store. There has been some medical research on these laboratory produced ketones including a bunch of military funded ones, but not a lot on long term use and I believe the jury is still out on these laboratory Ketones. The Keto/Os product is a MULTI-LEVEL Marketing product and you can purchase it from me and then become a distributor to your friends and relatives and help to pay for it that way, OR you can just sprinkle a bit of the powder into your KETO-TO-GO lemon infused beverages and see if these laboratory produced Ketones work for you. Keep in mind however, that with a little bit of effort on your part, MOST humans have a liver that will produce your OWN natural HUMAN MADE Ketones right in your own inner liver-based body workshop. Simply: Your liver will produce Ketones naturally if deprived of enough glucose, your body will automatically jump into KETOSIS (making your body into your own private Ketone Factory) and (THESE ARE FREE!) As various brands of exogenous ketones become available on the market, we will be sure to carry them all. Turning your body into your own private KETONE FACTORY can sometimes be a bit grueling and require some deprivation or fasting to trigger the liver engines to do this for you. Some of the Exogenous Ketones are not too yummy to taste, but you will have to try for yourself to see if you like them and to see if you get the results that many are jumping up and down about. I will be adding pages on our website soon with testimonials and anecdotal experiences from KETO / OS users and I will also be adding videos and articles as the doctors start talking about these products as well. Ultimately, you need to decide these things for yourself (hopefully with the help of a trained Keto Dietician).
- THE RESEARCH ON KETONES & THE KETOGENIC DIET: In the 1920’s The Ketogenic Diet was discovered (uncovered) and created. This diet has been used extensively and a ton of medical documentation has been researched and published. Specific studies have focused on the amazing anti-inflammatory and neurological results from embarking upon this diet. Recently, since almost 50% of epileptic children that go on The Ketogenic Diet have an elimination or substantial reduction of seizure activity, a wide range of studies around the world are currently taking place regarding the use of this diet for numerous other related brain, nervous system and inflammatory diseases and conditions. See list in the section on our Keto-To-Go.com website “The Ketogenic Diet.”
- In addition, numerous studies published in medical journals and online associations exhibit that Ketone Bodies are anti-inflammatory and nero-protective as well as helpers for athletic performance, better brain function and so much more! Anecdotal reports of reduction of migraines (I am one of these reporters!) reduction of seizures, stabilizing of mood disorders (bi-polar too), and improvement from traumatic brain injuries or brain inflammation. Other diseases that have anecdotal reporting of healing or improvements are widely spread around the Internet and YouTube, including: Acid Reflux, Alzheimer's, Anti-Aging, Appetite Reduction, Arthritis, Autism, Blood Pressure, Blood Sugar Balancing, Cancer Remission, Cholesterol Management, Paid Reduction, Depression Elimination, Diabetes Type II, Digestion Improvement, Epilepsy Seizure Reduction and Elimination, Fat Loss, Weight Loss, Fitness and Endurance Improvement, Inflammation Reduction, Improved Sleep, Metabolic Syndrome Elimination, Mood Centering, MS impact, Parkinson's Remission, Reduced Trygycerides = Reduced Risk of Heart Attacks, Sleep Apnea (totally disappearing!) Unexpected Beauty results (disappearing pimples!)
- THE MAKING OF KETOGENIC FOODS: The process of creating a food that has enough fats and low enough content of both protein and carbohydrates is a complicated, frustrating and confusing task for most individuals! It is because of my own personal struggle in trying to learn how to, both, do this diet and create foods that were not completely nauseating to eat and, then want to eat again and again and again and again (YUCK!) It is by trial and error (and a huge waste of foods that I threw into the garbage when they just tasted like even my dog would turn them down) that I was able to…one by one, excruciatingly slowly...create UBER YUMMY treats, snacks and meals, one at a time… and this is how KETO-TO-GO was born.
After what I went through in attempting to learn the ratios, measure out the foods AND simultaneously eat something tasty (that part was the hardest!) I was driven to share my experience and journey with others. I wanted to prevent others (like YOU!) from the months of struggling that I went through in trying to make yummy foods for myself to eat and also want to continue to eat. In short, most of the foods that I eat are a 4:1 ratio – This is the most strict Ketogenic Diet that you can do. In the 4:1 ratio, you eat foods that are 90% calories from fat, 2-4% calories from net-carbs (subtracting fiber grams from gross carbs grams gives you net-carbs grams) and 4-8% calories from protein. Needless to say, this type of heavy fatty food can be nauseating at times and easy to develop a low tolerance for these foods as well as a strong desire to escape from eating in this way. All of my Creamy Yummies are a 4:1 -5.5:1 ratio! All of my Energy Orbs are between 2.95- 4.6:1 ratio. (My Lemon and Almond Orbs are both 4.6:1! All of my muffies are a 4:1 ratio including my salad and veggie muffies as well. My Keto-Paleo Breads are somewhere in between the 3.25:1 ratio and the 3.75:1 ratio and so on and so forth. All of my packaging will clearly explain the ratio of Keto that is developed in each product. I’m very happy to say, that I have survived on this diet precisely because of the versatility and variety of what I have created. In order to create this diet, I had to drop all my other activities, it was that all consuming in terms of effort, thinking, modifying, researching, studying and re-creating. There is not one menu item presented on KETO-TO-GO.com that has not undergone numerous revisions until just the right combination of elements were combined to both meet the ratio demands and also live up to the yummy taste requirement as well.
- THE KETO RATIOS EXPLAINED:
At first learning how to calculate ratios can be a bit confusing but I finally figured it out. If 4 Grams of Fat per 1 Gram of Protein and Carbs combined is the ratio for 4:1 then simply: DIVIDE THE TOTAL NUMBER OF GRAMS OF FAT BY THE COMBINED NUMBER OF GRAMS OF PROTEIN AND CARBS and you get your ratio!
So: for example: If you have 21 grams of fat and 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of net carbs in your desert, you divide 21 by 3 and get a 7:1 ratio.
If you have 15 grams of fat and 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of net carbs in your entree, then to calculate the ratio, you divide the 15 fats by 3 (the 2 proteins and 1 net carbs combined) to obtain a ration of 5:1.
If you have 12 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of net carbs, to obtain the ratio, you divide 12 by 3 and get a ratio 4:1.
If you have 9 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of net carbs, to obtain the ratio, you divide 9 by 3 and get a ratio of 3:1.
If you have 6 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of net carbs, to obtain the ratio, you divide 6 by 3 and get a ratio of 2:1.
If you have 3 grams of fat, and 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of net carbs, to obtain the ratio, you divid 3 / 3 and get a ratio of 1:1.
These are numbers that divide easily into one another and there is much more to this calculating then I have provided above, however it is a good start!
You can also safely assume that 80-90 % fat with the balance a mix of protein and net carbs, the net carbs being on the lower side of that mix, you are in the 4:1 ratio or even above. 75/25 will get you into the 3:1 range. and 67/33 will get you into the 2:1 range. (The higher number represents grams of fat in ratio to the lower number representing grams of net carbs plus proteins.)
There are varying levels of this diet which is why it can get so incredibly confusing and why it is a great idea to do this diet under the supervision of a Dietician and preferably also in conjunction with a Ketogenic expert physician.
This ratio is very similar to the old school Adkins Diet. I have seen a TON of people lose dramatic amounts of weight on this diet but it might not be strict enough to keep the body in full time Ketosis which is what the 4:1 and sometimes the 3:1 are advertised to do. So, to get the full neurological and anti-inflammatory benefits of this diet, it is recommended to try 3:1 and if that doesn’t work, jump into 4:1.
I have found numerous pages attempting to explain the Ketogenic Diet. Some opinions vary slightly so I have included a handful of links below to share with you some of my research and you can decide for yourself which explanation you like best!
Here is one explanation here: www.ketoexplained.com/keto-101/
Another explanation can be found here:
CLASSIC KETOGENIC AND MODIFIED KETOGENIC – Explanation can be found at the www.charliefoundation.org on this page here: http://www.charliefoundation.org/explore-ketogenic-diet/explore-2/classic-ketogenic
Another explanation can be found here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
Another explanation can be found here: https://authoritynutrition.com/ketogenic-diet-101/
This is one of my favorites which is about a 3:1 ratio: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/support-files/kd-basics.pdf
As I said before, learning how to do this diet is no easy feat! You have to be a mathematician, a nutritionist, a research expert and a Saint!
DISCLAIMER: The claims made within this website have not been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration. The products and information offered both on the website and on any packaging labels or advertisements but not limited to within this website, are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided within this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional. This also applies to any and all of our packaging to KETO-TO-GO products herein and future products coming soon. You should ALWAYS consult with a licensed health care professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem